Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A New Gift from an Old Memory


Every now and then we are not thinking about the past. In fact we are right square in the now and feeling peaceful and serene when out of the blue something from the past comes in to say Hello. For me it came in the form of a male cousin who I have not seen or spoken to since I was about 15. I am 61 now and the memories came flooding back of spending a few summers at their place in Salem, Virginia.

They lived in the mountains in a very isolated rural area at the base of a mountain with a creek running through their property. There was one of those corner gas and grocery stores that looked as though it had seen better days. I went there several times. There were 4 children in my aunt Lucys house and 5 in ours. There was always someone going to the store for bread or something so a group of us would walk there. It was two miles away. So a 4 mile round trip was pretty common on almost a daily basis. When we got there...there were ALWAYS a couple of real old guys sitting on the steps "Jawing" as they called it. It is a country word for talking.

It was a carefree summer with no worries and I was slowly waking up to myself as a person. Even back then I was a people watcher. I would talk to them a little. I can hear as clear as a bell how one old guy would always say, "I stopped for a pop and Jawing." I remember thinking that this was a long time ritual for them and how many hours had they spent doing this.

Days were spent walking the creek. It was spectacular back there. Ice cold water running over slate rock and mica. My youngest brother caught a fish with his hands during those long peaceful days. I thought he was going to wet his pants with excitement when he came into the house clutching this small trout. I thought that was way cool! We picked berries and spent time at a rare commodity for a rural area...a public swimming pool. At 15 in my red two piece bathing suit, I did not lack for company.

This time the memories found me and I invited them in to play in my mind and I saw all the blessings that flowed during that time in my youth. I let go of all the so-called bad things and viewed with my spiritual eyes all the wonderful things that happened.Perception Is Everything.

www.makeachoicenow.com

This time I just left the memories flow and was viewing them off the scale differently. My perception completely changed and it felt so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment