Saturday, January 8, 2011

Yes, David...God is Really Cool


Rev. Diannia Baty Yes, David, God is Really Cool

Are you tuned in or tuned out? Are you a good listener? Do you find that you will have a conversation with someone and hardly recall most of what was said? Do people in your life ask you if you are listening to them?

Do you sometimes arrive at your destination and don’t remember the drive...? Are you having trouble remembering appointments? How are you sleeping at night? Are you having frequent headaches and stomach issues, heartburn or stiff sore muscles? If I asked you what you had for breakfast yesterday, could you tell me?
It has been surmised that most of us have almost 60,000 thoughts a day. That is way
too much for spiritual and emotional health. If you are doing that much thinking then is it any surprise that you are having troubles? Many of these thoughts are random and are automatic default thoughts.

Your mind is using you and it should be the other way around. I am reminded of when I have walked a large unruly dog that pulls me around. Just who is walking who?
It is time to tune into yourself and your soul. It is also time to tune into your God. Just how do you do this? The first course of action would be to dial down the number of thoughts you have in any given day. One of the most powerful ways to do this is to meditate. This is not just a suggestion. I meditate every day and it has become something I have to do like eat or sleep. I am calmer and grounded and a lot more peaceful. If you feel you can’t, then just sit quietly and take a few deep breaths and concentrate on the sensation of breathing. Do this for 3 to 5 minutes with your eyes closed.

Surprise, you just meditated! Easy enough, isn’t it? Do this whenever you need a break from the world instead of eating something or turning on the TV.
Have you ever given any thought to how many things you turn on and off throughout the day? You control many things. Some of these things are light switches, your car, the TV, the dishwasher, your computer, water faucets, your toothbrushes, security systems, the stove etc. This is just a short list of things you have absolute control over. If you forget to turn off some of these things the results are not pretty and sometimes devastating. Most of us are pretty vigilant and take care of the on off process in our day.

Most of us however, are not doing anything for our minds. We let the thoughts run roughshod over our life. You can train the mind to shut down too by meditation and sitting quietly. Your brain is a magnificent bio machine but it is designed to shut down from time to time. Even our computers go into a hibernate mode. If we allow our thoughts to run on with no control in sight we encounter burn out. Thank Goodness, our creator designed us to sleep or many of us would be in deep trouble. It is a sad fact that so many of us have trouble in that area also because we have not learned to use our minds effectively. Sleep clinics and sleeping pills are a sign of our times. This is a sad commentary of our humanity.

Our entire planet and everything on it is designed to perform in divine symmetry. We have the change of the seasons. The tides are controlled by the phases of the moon. Our children are born approximately nine months after conception. Grass, trees and plants have a cycle of birth and renewal. The snows of winter melt and fill the streams and rivers. Water condenses and fills the clouds. It rains and falls back into the water supply.

It is time to become still and quiet and connect with our source. We are way overdue to find our way back to peace and have a deep personal relationship with our creator. You will not find God in your busy mind numbing activities. God is being tuned out and shoved in the background of your mind. There is a powerful truth that you need to remember and that is;

The kingdom of heaven is within.

Now, if you think about it, it is pretty simply stated with no disclaimers. There are no if’s, and’s or but’s. It is what it is.
I have so many of my deeply spiritual experiences in the outdoors. One day while sitting quietly on a park bench meditating, a boy of about ten stopped in front of me. When I opened my eyes, he asked me what I was doing. I decided to tell him in simple terms and I stated that I was sitting with God and listening for the voice of my creator. When I said that he sat down beside me and a dialogue started between us that I have never forgotten. He said, “you mean God actually talks to you?” I said yes he did. He stated that he didn’t hear anything when he walked up to me. I told him that because God is so boundless and as big as the universe he could communicate with us in so many different ways. I explained that you had to learn to become still and very quiet so you could hear him. I asked him what his name was and David was his reply. Young curious David then said he was going to try it.

He closed his eyes and became like a statue and his breathing slowed. Children of that age are not accustomed to being still for very long. To my continued amazement, he sat there for a full 12 minutes as I timed him by my watch before he opened his eyes. He was quiet for a few moments as I waited for his reaction or comments. He looked at me and smiled and said, “wow, that was really cool.” He told me he had become aware of the birds singing and sounds seemed louder and then seemed to become lower in volume. He was then only aware of his breathing and he started to see colors like a rainbow. David said that he felt goose bumps and like someone was standing in the rainbows with him. “That was God, huh?”
I replied “yes it was.” I asked him if it made him feel good and he said, “yes, it did” I asked him if God had spoken to him and David said something I will never forget. His reply was,
“I kinda heard words in my head but not out loud or anything.”

David told me that God said, “I am loved beyond anything I can ever imagine and that one day I would understand what that means.”

I was so touched by this encounter with this little boy. I knew that I was supposed to meet David that day. Before he left he told me he was going to repeat the experience a lot and he couldn’t wait to tell his little brother about it so he could do it too! The ripple effect had started from this meeting. One other thing that David said before he left was,
“God is really cool, Huh?” Yes! David, God is really cool indeed!
www.makeachoicenow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment