Thursday, September 2, 2010

God dropped insight into my life


For quite a few months now I have been around someone who is very controlling and downright rude in giving her opinions. It has irritated me to no end. When people are around she rudely interrupts everyone with something about her or interjects her opinion before they have finished speaking. It is hard to have a conversation with her because she is always interrupting. It has made me angry and uncommunicative and I have tried many things to change this. As a spiritual teacher I have looked inward and wasn't coming up with many answers. I tried speaking my truth to her in kind ways and it didn't work. I have spewed anger at her and it didn't work. Nothing was working at all.

She questioned everything I did from how long I boiled eggs or parked my car to what I should do and how I should handle my life and choices in general.
Around and around we would go endlessly and there seemed to be no end in sight. I found myself actually avoiding her so I would not have to deal with her know-it-all unsolicited opinions.
Finally this past week I realized that she was bringing up in me some old stuff from the past and it was through this filter of reality that I was responding to her bossy controlling ways. It was like having my deceased mother around me every day. With my mother nothing I did was right and no matter what it was she always said that her way was better.
Then in a flash of insight I knew my ego was reacting and taking me down the garden path and I did not need to do anything at all in response to whatever this woman was saying to me. She only made me feel angry and irritated because I was allowing it to happen.
I do not have to react at all. What a revelation!
I took care of my mother in her final years and it was the hardest thing I have ever done mostly because of this bossy, know-it-all controlling nature. If her attitude had been softer and more respectful it would have helped me to deal with her but unfortunately that never happened. She put down and denigrated me at every turn.
Now these old issues have popped up in another person and I can see that I never fully dealt with it. Here it is again.
Mastery and spirit is telling me to ignore and not respond at all to any of this. It is all about her and not about me. In truth I can see this is the way she is with everyone not just me so I am not being singled out.
I wish there was a way to get her to see this as I know some people deliberately avoid her because of this but this is her path and not mine. Maybe she does not want to see it. I am not sure. For me I am taking a new spiritual direction. This woman is a friend but it is hard to be her friend at times. I can not change her but I can change myself and that is what I am doing. I wish to be at peace and not have these daily irritations to deal with. It is my life, my choices and no one elses.
She may read this but I say to her that this is nothing new and she knows who she is. For what it is worth I am putting it out there one more time that this stop so I can take our friendship to a different level...one of peace, respect and joy. For today I am telling the universe and God I want peace on my life and I will participate in the cause.
Many times in my spiritual development classes, I teach that you cannot change another person only yourself. I am also reminded of the saying that if what you are looking at is not changing then change the way you look at it.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing, you have said in this one short story what I have been wanting and needing for so long. I see this same thing in my life, and now you have given me another tool to sharpen my life with. "that you cannot change another person only yourself. I am also reminded of the saying that if what you are looking at is not changing then change the way you look at it." yes I am going to start this NOW with that someone in my life.

    ReplyDelete