Friday, April 2, 2010

Changing Lanes


Sometimes while driving, I observe other drivers and their driving behavior. There is always one driver who is constantly changing lanes in an effort to get to their destination a little faster. Then you arrive at a stop light and there they are right beside you. They didn’t get any closer or faster to their destination than anyone else. They worked harder to get to the same place. All the while, I try to stay with the flow of traffic and enjoy the scenery and stay alert to what is going on around me. I know I am not on the road alone. Any one of these drivers is a precious someone to a son, husband, wife, grandchild etc.
The lane changers are doing their thing almost without regard to what is going on around them.
I wonder what their big hurry is.
Some lane changers cause accidents in their haste to get wherever they are going faster. These accidents are fatalities for some. All of this because they were in such a rush to get somewhere.
My point to all this is slow down and pace yourself. If you are in a rush it is hard to stay focused on anything. We miss the beauty of our life by rushing around and changing lanes, relationships, houses, jobs etc.
Spiritually speaking it is very important to stay focused on the road and the tasks ahead. We give up too easily. If for example we are told that we must learn to meditate, we may give it a brief try and then tell ourselves we can’t do it. It is too hard. Meditation is like anything else and requires a commitment to the process. I tell most people to just sit quietly and concentrate on their breathing for a few moments and just observe their surroundings. That in and of itself is a form of meditation.
If you desire peace in your life then you must stay focused on the road and the signs along the way. You can’t be constantly changing lanes. Peace is a verb. To have peace you must first become peace. Practice peace. If you feel negative feelings and emotions rise up within allow yourself to become peaceful instead. In any given moment and circumstance you can transform an outcome by staying focused and peaceful. All you have to do is choose peace and the rest will follow. You cannot by-pass this step or you will never arrive at your spiritual destination. Peace is where God resides and where your connection to God is strongest. If you desire guidance and messages from God you cannot change lanes on this. Don’t leave God behind in a cloud of dust as you hurry on in your busy world. Someone gave me a little medallion to put on my key chain a while back and it was a strong reminder to stay the course. It said, “Never drive faster than your guardian angels can fly.” It gave me pause for thought. Every now and then on a two lane road
there are the double yellow lines that expressly mean not to pass under any circumstances. It could mean the end of your life if you ignore it and you could take anothers life in the process.
Spirituality is sort of like that road with the double yellow lines. Stay focused. Stay in your lane and look and make sure there isn’t someone coming at you from the other side of the road that ignored the yellow lines. In other words practice discernment, be aware and stay in the now with God as your co-pilot.

I love road trips through the countryside and before I leave I ask my creator for protection and I am always excited as I know I am going to see some beautiful things and arrive home with new insights. I have the intention for guidance and messages to come through. I don’t change lanes unless it is absolutely necessary. I am not in a hurry and many times have to pull off the road to let the other drivers past me so I will not hold them up.
This is just something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment