Friday, December 17, 2010

Getting a Failing Grade In Home Economics



When I was a young teenager there was a class for girls called Home Economics where we were taught how to bake, sew, set a table etc. I hated this class because I was already doing these things and had been doing it for years and my great ability to do these things very well made the other girls shun me. I cooked, cleaned, mended and took care of my four siblings because I was the oldest. I was willingly and not so willingly my mothers helper.
All the responsibility chaffed at me and I felt bound to eternal chores. I felt that I would excel at this class but this was not the case. The problem was I could have taught the class. Everything was easy for me. My class mates were envious and since I was the new kid in school as was often the case, this was reason enough to bully and pick on me.
After a while I would turn in sloppy work or burn the cookies, thinking this would turn things around. It didn't. I failed the class. The other girls still did not accept me. My teacher sat me down and asked me why I was doing so well at the beginning and then was unproductive as she put it.
I told her I was already doing all these things at home and had been for years and the class was a mistake for me. I said that there was nothing she could teach me that I didn't already know. She got huffy and told me that I would receive a failing grade for her class and I did.
Not too long after that my family moved again. I have thought back to that class and realize now that I should have allowed myself to do well at that class and get the well-deserved A. Because of other peoples opinions and my desire to be accepted. I bowed under peer pressure and did the opposite and got an F in the process.
So this begs the question, "how many times do we show ourselves as less than we are simply to fit in?" No matter what the circumstances are we must do our best and shine
even if it makes someone else uncomfortable. Maybe if I had fit in with these girls I may have found a bunch of girls that may have led me down the wrong path. I have learned through the years that accepting and loving myself is one of the things I had to do to come to a sense of peace in this world.
God has given me so many gifts and I am going to unwrap all of them before this physical life is over. www.makeachoicenow.com

1 comment:

  1. Diannia: This is really a great blog and reminds me to love myself. I am my own worst critic and at times can't find much of anything "special" about me. I just can't see it. But, I will find it. :)

    Take care and have a great day and thanks for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete