Sunday, June 27, 2010

A TRIP FOR MY SOUL.


A Trip For My Soul

I have been feeling the call to visit the deeper part of nature for a while. It is the one thing that will renew and refresh me more than anything I can do. There is so much going on in the world that is negative and frightening that no matter where you go or what you do you are being bombarded with information about it.

I took a day trip into the mountains of North Carolina for the day armed with a camera and a picnic lunch and a new friend who also loves nature. I call these trips my adventures. I have become comfortable with the winding roads so driving was a breeze. All along the way were flowers in bloom and towering trees. Every now and then I would cross over a stream or a river. Up in elevation I went ears popping as I got higher. The air started to smell sweeter and earthy with life at its finest. First stop was Linville Falls. Hiking down the trail to the waterfalls was filling up my spirit with the beauty around me and the verdant growth was greeting me as an old friend. I could hear the water sounds getting louder and I could feel the quickening of my heart. All along the way were ferns, mushrooms growing on some moss covered logs and the dense smell of evergreens. I spotted mandrake, wild strawberries and violets and tiny flowers called forget-me-nots. Down the steep walk over the rocks and then the falls rushing over and spilling down a gorge carving the way down to a place you couldn't see. It mattered not as my imagination filled in the blanks for me. All along the trail I greeted my fellow hikers and petted their dogs and one hiker handed me her walking stick as a gift on my way back. Gifts come from many sources.

At the falls my spirit soared as I drank in what was all around me. The sound of the falls was soothing and spoke to my cells with their healing balm. Soon after many photos it was time to go but reluctantly because I could have stayed there for days.

Back on the road and on to a place called Grandfather Mountain. The road became steeper and more winding and the vistas of the mountains reminded me that mother nature is always in charge. I felt tiny.
A sense of Oneness came over me at some point and I knew that I was a part of the grand design. It filled me with peace and excitement. The air became cooler and more refreshing. Each and every time I take a trip into the mountains it is as if I am seeing them for the first time. It is always new to me.

On this mountain is a bridge that is a mile high and the winds are strong sometimes a gust of up to sixty mph are recorded. On this day it was about 30 mph, brisk and strong. I saw a hawk flying on the updrafts effortlessly and so free. I was envious for a moment.

I had packed a wonderful picnic lunch of Brie cheese, cherries, rice crackers, asparagus, boiled eggs, chicken and tomatoes. We were fortified and satisfied with our goodies before we hiked again. We drank sweet well water and satisfied our thirst.

At one point I asked my companion the question that had occurred to me, "do you think that when we were told to be fruitful and multiply it meant 60 billion of us?"

I thanked God at the end of this glorious day for everything I had seen, heard and tasted. I was grateful that I can hike with little difficulty and had a good camera to record the memories. I was grateful for my bed that holds me gently and lulls me into deep sleep. I sent prayers out for the earth and everyone who is suffering out there in any way. I prayed for peace and to be able to continue to enjoy this planet in all its glory and that it continues for generations to come.

My spirit is renewed today and I have hope that as the divine beings that we are we discover God in more profound ways than ever before.

www.makeachoicenow.com
http://wayovertherainbow.blogspot.com/
http:godsspiritletters.blogspot.com/
http://hectorscaninedogma.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment