Monday, March 29, 2010
Striving To Be Authentic
In each day I awake and usually start to write. I sit down with a cup of coffee and I drink the real stuff. No watered down version for me. This morning I had a word in my brain from the moment I woke up. That word was authentic.
I thought about all the things that we want to be authentic. Diamonds come to mind, antiques, organic products etc. How many times have you thought something was authentic only to find out later it was a knock off? It was just a copy or a reasonable facsimile of the real deal. Designer purses and watches like a Rolex are copied every day and sold as the real deal. Of course you want your cash to be authentic too but there are a lot of counterfeits on the streets.
I have wondered about all the people I have known were not authentic. Why did they choose to be a fake or just a knock off version of what a human being is? Or did they not choose it? Maybe they are just doing what they have been taught to do. If so some serious soul searching is in order.
I have observed that there are certain traits to an unauthentic person. I will try and list a few here.
1. Pretending to be an expert in something they know little about.
2. Shifting their eyes from side to side while talking to you.
3. Touching you a lot while talking to you...hand, shoulder, palm on back.
4. Inattentiveness...talking on the cell, checking messages, playing with their
hair, nails etc.
5. They don't show up for appointments and if they do they are always late.
6. They don't answer direct questions. They find a way around it.
7. They are stuck in their story and repeat it often and are not interested
in what you have to say.
8. They are constantly talking about others with their own special spin.
9. They are so full of themselves. It is all about them.
These are just a few things that I have observed in my own view. So, I ask myself where I am not being authentic? I want to be the real deal all of the time. I have to be fully aware of what I am doing and saying in every moment so I will be able to quickly identify where I need some correction. To often we just open mouth and insert foot.
God created us to be authentic. I do not want to be parts of someone or something else. I want my ideas and creations to be uniquely me. In the expression of my authentic self miracles happen in my every day interactions with others and I find that more authenticity is forthcoming to me. Not only that, but I am able to feel the energy of something that is not authentic with lightning speed. What a blessing that is. So if you think you life may be filled with unauthentic experiences, look within and make changes with yourself.
I strive to be authentic in every day. I am a authentic being.