Friday, March 5, 2010

Control, Control, Control


Let me start this piece by saying that I observe that I know a lot of controlling people. I know that control has been an on-going soul theme of mine throughout my life.
It started in childhood when my words did not matter. I was controlled in a big way by my father who ruled with an iron fist. I wasn't allowed to state any opinions or ask for anything. If he said no, it was no. If he said do something then you had better do it. Anytime I suggested something or had an idea it was immediately put down.

Now I am an adult and I have gone through the range of relationships that were in most cases controlling.I have moved out of that and have my voice and life under my command now but I am still running into people who want to tell me how to run the show and put down every idea I have and give me many reasons why it won't work or why it is wrong even when I don't ask for the input.I resist taking their words for the gospel because they are only coming from their own particular experience and unless they are a bona fide expert, I must allow my own opinions and ideas take bloom.

There are times when I see that God has put yet another controlling person in my path to test how strong my own convictions are. The controlling people have been pushing me all my life into corners that made me question myself. It has changed because I used to question myself in a negative way and now I do it to strengthen my position and thoughts.

I want to have the courage of my convictions and to know what it is clearly. So, for all you bossy controlling people out there , I thank you for being there.

No comments:

Post a Comment